An Italian had never succeeded to conquer the rainbow jersey in the time trial so far. Today, Filippo Ganna makes history in the cycling universe at the 2020 UCI Road World Championships in Imola – Emilia Romagna. The Italia National Team jersey wearer racing “at home” prevailed on Wout van Aert (Belgium) and Stefan Kung (Switzerland) by taming the 31.7km flat course of the Elite Men’s TT at the stunning average speed of 52.798 km/h.
Stronger than the wind and all his rivals, the 24-year-old rider from Piedmont wears the first rainbow jersey of this specialty, after being a four-time world champion in the individual pursuit.
Order of arrival
1) GANNA Filippo (Italy) km 31.7 in 35:54.10 average speed 52.978 km/h
2) van AERT Wout (Belgium) +26.72
3) KUNG Stefan (Switzerland) +29.80
4) THOMAS Geraint (Great Britain) +37.02
5) DENNIS Rohan (Australia) +39.76
6) ASGREEN Kasper (Denmark) +47.13
7) CAVAGNA Remi (France) +48.35
8) CAMPENAERTS Victor (Belgium) +52.81
9) DOWSETT Alex (Great Britain) +1:06.38
10) DUMOULIN Tom (Netherlands) +1:14.06