The French anthem fills the air at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in the final day of the UCI 2020 Road World Championships, Imola – Emilia-Romagna. The French Julian Alaphilippe claimed the rainbow jersey in the Men Elite road race. On the last ascent of the Cima Gallisterna, with less than 10 km to go, the 28 year-old rider from Saint-Amand-Montrond digged in and got rid of all his rivals. The captain of the French national team rode full gas in the following apparently flat stretch and flew on the descent leading to the finish. A few-second lead that he defended tenaciously over his chasers – van Aert, Fuglsang, Kwiatkowski, Roglic, and Hirschi. A handful of seconds enabled him to deliver and make his great dream come true: becoming the world champion. The Belgian Wout van Aert outsprinted the other contenders and took the silver, and the Swiss Marc Hirschi was third. Damiano Caruso, tenth, was the fastest Italian at the finish line.
Alaphilippe says, still with tears in his eyes.
adds the new world champion. He will debut wearing the rainbow jersey at the Flèche Wallone next Wednesday.
Wout van Aert, in second, cannot conceal his disappointment, as he has already been beaten by Filippo Ganna in the individual time trial:
Marc Hirschi, already an Under23 world champion, is satisfied of his bronze:
1) ALAPHILIPPE Julian (France) km 258.2 in 6:38:34 (average speed 38.869 kph)
2) van AERT Wout (Belgium) +24
3) HIRSCHI Marc (Switzerland) +24
4) KWIATKOWSKI Michal (Poland) +24
5) FUGLSANG Jakob (Denmark) +24
6) ROGLIC Primoz (Slovenia) +24
7) MATTHEWS Michael (Australia) +53
8) VALVERDE Alejandro (Spain) +53
9) SCHACHMANN Maximilian (Germany) +53
10) CARUSO Damiano (Italy) +53