The Italian anthem filled the air at the 2020 UCI Road World Championships in Imola – Emilia Romagna: Filippo Ganna was crowned as the time trial world champion. It is an historic achievement, since no Italian athlete had ever suceeded in conquering the rainbow jersey in the race against the clock.
The 24 year-old rider from Piedmont prevailed on the Belgian Wout van Aert and the Swiss Stefan Kung, taming the 31.7 km flat course of the Elite Men’s Time Trial at a stunning average speed of 52.978 kph. Stronger than the wind and his rivals, the “azzurro” hunk wears the first rainbow jersey in this specialty after being a four-time world champion in individual pursuit.
the new world champion says with excitment, after having been embraced by his family.
The silver medallist, the Belgian Wout van Aert accepts the second place and comments on his race:
In third place, the Swiss Stefan Kung says:
Order of arrival
1) GANNA Filippo (Italy) km 31.7 in 35:54.10 average speed 52.978 km/h
2) van AERT Wout (Belgium) +26.72
3) KUNG Stefan (Switzerland) +29.80
4) THOMAS Geraint (Great Britain) +37.02
5) DENNIS Rohan (Australia) +39.76
6) ASGREEN Kasper (Denmark) +47.13
7) CAVAGNA Remi (France) +48.35
8) CAMPENAERTS Victor (Belgium) +52.81
9) DOWSETT Alex (Great Britain) +1:06.38
10) DUMOULIN Tom (Netherlands) +1:14.06
In the cover image Filippo Ganna shows the gold medal proudly. Below in action, during the celebrations with the Italian National Team, on the podium, with van Aert and with the Imola2020 Organiser Marco Selleri.
photo ©Bettini Photo – Imola2020